September 11, 2013

Waiting on The Kingdom of Little Wounds by Susann Cokal

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights any upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

 Publication date: October 8, 2013 

A young seamstress and a royal nursemaid find themselves at the center of an epic power struggle in this stunning young-adult debut.

On the eve of Princess Sophia’s wedding, the Scandinavian city of Skyggehavn prepares to fete the occasion with a sumptuous display of riches: brocade and satin and jewels, feasts of sugar fruit and sweet spiced wine. Yet beneath the veneer of celebration, a shiver of darkness creeps through the palace halls. A mysterious illness plagues the royal family, threatening the lives of the throne’s heirs, and a courtier’s wolfish hunger for the king’s favors sets a devious plot in motion.

Here in the palace at Skyggehavn, things are seldom as they seem — and when a single errant prick of a needle sets off a series of events that will alter the course of history, the fates of seamstress Ava Bingen and mute nursemaid Midi Sorte become irrevocably intertwined with that of mad Queen Isabel. As they navigate a tangled web of palace intrigue, power-lust, and deception, Ava and Midi must carve out their own survival any way they can. (Goodreads)

Gorgeous cover. A fantasy world set in an non-traditional setting (I'm sure the number of books I've read set in Scandinavia can be counted on one hand). Medieval-sounding time period. Political intrigue galore. A focus on palace servants rather than the upper class. Yes, this sounds exactly like an Amanda book to me.

What are you waiting on?
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

6 comments:

  1. I've seen this one around a lot and I'm really excited for it. I hope it's the type of fantasy the two of us like, without any messy world-building. Great pick, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Yes YES. This sounds exactly like an Aylee book to me, too. It's interesting that this one is coming out soon and I've heard no buzz for it. I really have no idea what people are thinking about it. Hopefully it's mostly positive! I'm also quite keen on a historical fantasy that focuses more on the servants than the upper class because it's rare for me that I get to read that point of view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Strange. But hey - that makes it more exciting in a way. It's almost like uncharted territory lol.

      Delete
  3. That IS a gorgeous cover! This one was vaguely on my radar, but now it's IN FULL COLOR! I agree, we don't get a lot about Scandinavia. Tho the IMMORTAL BELOVED series I read this summer has some great Northern Europe themes. I always love your choices, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pretty! And yes - that series is on my radar after reading your reviews, Lauren! Yay for fantasies that take place in non-traditional settings. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.