September 27, 2013

Review: The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan


The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan
Published: 2013, Riverhead Books
Genre: Adult Historical Fiction
Format: Hardcover, 357 pages
Source: Borrowed from library
Goodreads · Amazon · Barnes & Noble



We are the daughters of sewing maids and fruit peddlers, charwomen and laundresses, dressed up and painted to look like something we are not. All the years of practicing, the sweat and toil, the muscles aching at the end of the day, it comes down to learning trickery—to leap with the lightness that lets the theatergoers think of us as queens of the Opéra stage instead of scamps with cracking knees and heaving ribs and ever-bleeding toes. Sometimes I wonder, though, if for the very best ballet girls, the trickery is not a little bit real, if a girl born into squalor cannot find true grace in the ballet.


The van Goethem family undergoes a dramatic upheaval when the father of the household dies after many months of illness. With their mother making scanty wages as a laundress, a majority of which are spent then on Absinthe, sisters Antoinette, Marie, and Charlotte seek ways to sustain their family. Charlotte has a natural talent for ballet, and so she applies for work and training at the Paris Opéra. At fourteen, Marie is technically too old to start work as a ballerina-in-training, but a stroke of luck and unexpected talent lands her a position there as well. The Opéra is not a possibility for Antoinette, who failed her examination to progress to the next level years ago. Eventually she is able to find work acting in a stage production of Émile Zola's latest work.

The semblance of stability that the sisters form through their jobs is just that, however; a semblance. Antoinette knows that her position with the play is temporary, and that soon she'll be out of a job. Marie, who for years has been told that a more scholarly life is expected of her, finds that she quite enjoys ballet, but her examinations are approaching—the very same ones that Antoinette failed, and she's already at a distinct disadvantage having started training so late. 

The Painted Girls presents a portrait of Antoinette and Marie's lives over the course of three years as they struggle with finances, relationships, and what to do with their lives. It skillfully combines the few known historical facts about the van Goethem sisters, immortalized most famously through Edgar Degas' sculpture Little Dancer Aged Fourteen, with the infamous murder trial of Émile Abadie and Pierre Gille.

This is not a happy book. I just wanted to make this clear upfront. The lives that Antoinette and Marie lead are not pleasant ones, nor should readers expect to find any sort of idealized Paris within these pages. Even with bits of humor and hope scattered throughout, the most pervasive feeling is one of despair. Marie, at least, has some concrete goals that she hopes to reach as a dancer for the Opéra, but Antoinette really has nothing. Just a lifetime of hard labor in the hopes of making ends meet. So deeply entrenched is the van Goethem family in the lower-class dregs of society, that it appears that the Opéra is really the only feasible way for the girls to do something more with their lives. It is depressing to read about such circumstances, which only become bleaker as the novel progresses.

The story's narrative shifts between Antoinette and Marie, and for once I found that I didn't mind. Both characters offered distinct, important aspects to the story as a whole. Marie was much more relatable to me personally, well-spoken and observant with a drive to succeed. Antoinette's sections were more difficult, as her situations were frequently unhappy and unfair. Through Antoinette, however, I felt as though I had a more dynamic portrait of the era, while the majority of Marie's narration involves training for the ballet or modeling for extra fees. Another aspect that enabled the dual narration to work so well was that I never had any trouble distinguishing each girl's narration. I frequently find that in stories with more than one narrator, either the narrators end up sounding too similar, or else I just lack the ability to identify the differences between them. Marie and Antoinette's voices just sounded very different, however, and I genuinely looked forward to each part.

Interestingly, the complete and utter lack of hope for the betterment of their lives was not the most frustrating part for me. The often-strained relationship between Antoinette and Marie takes that honor, if you can call it that. While the misunderstandings that develop between them are more indicative of their lives as a whole rather than controllable individual actions, it was still quite difficult to see them allow their relationship to be torn apart. At one point Marie admits to Antoinette that she's the reason the family has been able to survive, and that she's her best friend. The ending (which, with its time lapse, functions almost like an epilogue) actually does provide some resolution on that end, fortunately.

One thing that The Painted Girls has done is to reinvigorate my love of historical fiction. After fantasy, historical fiction is probably my favorite genre. It's so fascinating to learn about what people used to do and how they lived. Even though Antoinette and Marie's lives are hardly enviable, I appreciated forming an understanding of how pivotal being accepted to the Opéra was for young impoverished girls. Through the trial of Antoinette's lover Émile Abadie, Buchanan also explores late nineteenth-century ideas of physiognomy and its links to criminality. And, of course, reading so much about Degas' art ensured that I'd spend quite a bit of time looking it up.

I quite enjoyed reading The Painted Girls. It's not a book I'd recommend to everyone, given its bleak subject matter and mature themes, but I would not hesitate to encourage lovers of historical fiction, historical Paris, realistic sister relationships, and strong writing to give it a try. It is a well-researched work of historical fiction.

Rating: 4.5 stars
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

9 comments:

  1. Although this seems very interesting, the subject matter really does seen just a touch too bleak for my liking. I'm glad to see this is a solid historical fiction novel, though, so I'll be on the lookout for it if I'm in the mood. Great review, Amanda!(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do encourage you to consider this if you do find yourself to be in the right mood...I think you could find many things to enjoy in this. Although I do understand it's not for everyone at any time.

      Delete
  2. Oh I'm so glad to hear you liked this one! I adore historical fiction, and I snagged this one when it was a Kindle Daily Deal but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Thanks for mentioning that it's bleak - I'l keep that in mind and make sure I read it at a time when I'll appreciate that tone (instead of starting and expecting a happy read).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I figured that was something I needed to point out to potential readers. I know how much you enjoy historical fiction, though, Hannah, so I think you'll enjoy this one when you do get around to reading it.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad that The Painted Girls reinvigorated your passion for historical fiction Amanda, I have been reading a lot of historical fiction books lately, so will definitely keep this book in mind when I'm in the right mood for it! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I hope you do, Jasprit! I'd be curious to read your thoughts on this one. And thank you!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a very emotional and dreary read. Historical fiction is not really my genre though but when I do pick the rare one up I like the tone to be darker and very character oriented so this could be a winner regardless! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I prefer darker too many times. I didn't know how dark this would be when I started, but even when I started to notice that I didn't really mind. Do keep this one in mind, Giselle!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this thoughtful review. I'm glad the dual narrative worked for you and that your love of historical fiction has been reinvigorated. Yay! (As for the quote you pulled, it's one I'm quite proud of. I often quote it when explaining the multiple significances of the title).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.