June 30, 2014

The Monthly Digest: June 2014


Welcome back to The Monthly Digest here at Late Nights with Good Books. With these posts I hope to recap everything reading- and blogging-related for the past month.

The Books
June Reads

Favorite Read from June:
Prisoner of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman
Shadow and Bone and Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo (re-reads)

Notable Quote from June: 
Margot would say she belongs to herself. Kitty would say she belongs to no one. And I guess I would say I belong to my sisters and my dad, but that won’t always be true. To belong to someone—I didn’t know it, but now that I think about, it seems like that’s all I’ve ever wanted. To really be somebody’s, and to have them be mine.
Jenny Han, To All The Boys I've Loved Before


The Blog
June Reviews:

June Features:
Top Ten Books That Will Be In My Beach Bag This Summer

In My Life
I know I just took a hiatus for the month of April. So I will try my hardest not to take one again in the near future, but I also need to consider the fact that life, which slowed down in May, is even more busy than ever. August will be a good month (I think), but until then I'm going to take my inspiration from Aylee and just post when I want and when I have some content prepared. I can't bother to stick to a schedule right now (more the pity because I just made one and all).

How was your June?

author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

12 comments:

  1. I've given up on schedules completely. I read two ARCs before June/July publications but haven't written reviews for them at allll, so I don't know when I'll get around to them or, for that matter, to my schedule again. I'm not going to stress over it, though. :)

    Also, I'm so glad to see you enjoyed Prisoner of Night and Fog so much this month! It's an ARC I haven't gotten to yet (see how behind I am on my schedule?) but I want to with all the positive reviews. Wonderful recap, Amanda, and I hope you have a great July!(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've started to realize that myself. Oh well. There are more important things to keep in mind than schedules. :)
      I liked Prisoner of Night and Fog, but I'm not sure I quite *loved* it to the degree that everyone else did. I haven't fully formulated it in a review yet, but nonetheless it was very good. I hope you get to read it soon yourself!
      And thank you, Keertana! I hope you do as well!

      Delete
  2. Oh good, glad to hear you will be taking the "no pressure" approach to blogging! The way I feel about it is, the people who enjoy reading your blog aren't going to get annoyed or frustrated with you for not sticking to a schedule and posting every day. And besides, you managed a remarkable number of posts and variety of content this month even while your life was getting busier. I mean, I'm quite impressed at that! Really great blog month!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. I've always been quality over quantity, but right now it almost feels like a question of quality or sleep/reading/relaxation time. I need a happy medium. A lot of these posts were already drafted before the month starts, so that helped for posting this month, at least. Thank you, Aylee!

      Delete
  3. Hmmmm I'm actually considering reading Prisoner of Night and Fog now. At first, I wasn't so sure but it seems like everyone is really enjoying it, including you. Also, I need to read To All the Boys I've Loved Before soon!

    As for scheduling, I've never really scheduled posts or planned them too far in advance, but that's just my personal preference. Schedule or not, I'm sure your posts will still be just as amazing, like always! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I'm surprised you weren't all over that. Maybe wait for my review? (Which will be mostly positive, but more detailed and all.) And All the Boys I've Loved Before is such a good, light read.
      Aww and thanks, Cort! I'll try.

      Delete
  4. I'm a firm believer of hiatuses, m'dear. They keep the blogging mind fresh and interested, plus, your followers will always be here when you get back. Great month for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe in hiatuses, after taking one in April. My concern, though, is that I don't have a true end-date in sight as to when I'll be able to devote myself more fully to blogging, and I just don't want to not be around for an indeterminate amount of time. But I'll play it by ear, I guess, and see what happens.
      Thank you, Melissa!

      Delete
  5. I am so behind on everything, that I always try to stick to a schedule but it never ends up working, particularly because of the mood reader that I've become. But you did get the chance to read some amazing books last month. I hope next month if full with more wonderful reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've been in weird reading moods recently myself haha. Certainly doesn't help scheduling.
      And thank you, Jasprit! I hope so as well. :)

      Delete
  6. Prisoner of Night and Fog is one of my favorite books so far this year (and one of the few 5 stars I've given). I'm dying for the next book.

    It's impossible for me to keep to a schedule, too. I'm trying to make sure I read a certain set of books each week, but something new always comes up. I hope you have a good reading month, though, and don't stress too much! We do this to enjoy ourselves. :)

    Danielle @ Love at First Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the way it ended, I am VERY curious to see where Blankman takes Gretchen's story.
      Aw, thank you, Danielle! I'm trying to remember that haha. Some days it's easier to feel okay with not being super structured than others. But I'll find that happy medium at some point. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.