June 24, 2014

Review: The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman



The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
Published: William Morrow Books, 2013
Genre: Adult Fantasy
Source: Library



Oh, Neil Gaiman. Every book of yours that I’ve read has further convinced me that your writing style and my reading preferences are just not going to mesh. And so, after reading your most recent release, I am going to respectfully refrain from reading other books of yours in the future. While I admire all you’ve accomplished as a writer, I have to admit that you’re just not the right writer for this reader.

After returning to the area where he grew up to attend a family member’s funeral, an unnamed man cannot resist the draw to drive past his home and visit the house of Lettie Hempstock, the mysterious girl he befriended nearly four decades ago. But Lettie is not at home. An older woman - who the man reasons must be her mother - says that Lettie hasn’t returned. Being in the house and wandering around outside to the pond that Lettie referred to as an ocean allows the man’s long-hidden memories to slowly surface, memories about an opal miner, a sinister housekeeper named Ursula Monkton, and other, stranger beings who wished to cohabit the Earth.

More than anything else, The Ocean at the End of the Lane is a study in nostalgia. Besides a brief beginning and introduction focusing on the protagonist in the current day, the rest of the story takes place over a short span of time when the protagonist was seven years old. The protagonist is never even given a name, but tying him down with a concrete identity is simply not necessary. His purpose in returning to see his home and the home of the Hempstocks is ostensibly curiosity, but there’s a deeper pull driving him forward, one that he cannot quite grasp.

All he knows is that adulthood lacks the magic of childhood, the sense of wonder and belief in all sorts of things, no matter how farfetched. 
Adult stories never made sense, and they were so slow to start. They made me feel like there were secrete, Masonic, mythic secrets, to adulthood. Why didn’t adults want to read about Narnia, about secret islands and smugglers and dangerous fairies?
And, as can be expected from Gaiman’s dark, quirky writing, the protagonist’s childhood was literally one full of magic. After all, only Gaiman could turn a story essentially about the nostalgia that accompanies growing up and add in some vengeful otherworldly monsters as a complication (and, perhaps, as a metaphor for the difficulties that one has to face in order to grow up). The parts where the protagonists reminisces about the differences between how he viewed adulthood while still a child are thought-provoking, but they don’t seem to be drawn-out nearly as much as they should be. They’re glimmers as fleeting as the protagonist’s memories of his past.

There’s a lingering grief also present in this novel. Although the protagonist is able to remember all the fantastical experiences he had with Lettie, readers know that the memories are going to fade back into his subconscious, as they have done before. This isn’t the first time that the protagonist has been back to see the Hempstock family, and nor will it be the last. The nostalgia present is pure and unadulterated and sadder for it, for the protagonist is doomed to forever repeat those feelings without ever being able to truly learn from them.

Although The Ocean at the End of the Lane is a story that contains many of Gaiman’s signature elements, it still feels incomplete. Little is resolved at the end of the story - which, admittedly, might be the point - but beyond that the story felt rushed, with not enough pages devoted to really teasing out the threads of this story about childhood fears and nostalgia. This story was originally conceived as a short story, and it shows. At 178 pages, The Ocean at the End of the Lane straddles the line between novellas and novels, not quite successful enough to be accurately labeled as either.

Fans of Neil Gaiman will be sure to find lots to love in his newest work, but it’s not something I see really drawing in new fans. It’s overly ambitious in what it seeks to accomplish in such a short span of pages and not quite as magical as what Gaiman has proven he’s capable of writing. At least, not for this reader.

Rating: 2 stars

author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

8 comments:

  1. I started reading this book on a trip last month. No matter how much I tried, I could not get into it. The description about magical creatures just did not appeal to me. I've only read one other book by Gaiman- The Graveyard Book- and I enjoyed that one a lot better!

    Great review! I love the way you write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much, Nidhi! That's so nice to hear. :)
      I have heard good things about The Graveyard Book - but I've also heard good things about practically all of Gaiman's books and NONE of them have really worked for me. *sigh* It saddens me, but what can you do? I hope you have more luck with him if you choose to read another one of his works!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Two stars! I'm so sorry you have not enjoyed Gaiman's writing, Amanda. I really am only a fan of some of his works, like his Sandman comics and Coraline and The Graveyard Book and his short stories, and I stick to those. While I did not like The Ocean at the End of the Lane as much as I anticipated, and I believed it should have remained a short story, I still fell in love with the concept and I enjoyed it overall. Beautifully written, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha two stars from me for a Gaiman book...is pretty par for my general reading experiences with him, sadly. I just don't get it. His popularity, that is. Oh well.
      It was a fascinating concept - I'll give you that.
      Thanks, Cort!

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry this didn't work for you. I tried reading The ocean at the end of the lane, early this year when there was so much hype about this book. Although, it is a short book, I couldn't get past 50 pages. I didn't know if I was in the right mood for this book or it's Gaiman's writing. I decided to give a break and try reading Gaiman's other books later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing both? It's a really weird book and Gaiman's writing is just weird, too. I do think that this book isn't garnering quite the same acclaim as his others, so it may serve you better if you read something else of his. I'll be curious if you do and it works out for you!

      Delete
  4. This was my first Gaiman read and while not a favorite, it certainly piqued my interest at his work and I found the unique narrative style to work surprisingly well with the story. I'm sorry this one didn't work out for you, Amanda, but perhaps you'll come across one you enjoy even more. Stardust is brilliant, though I believe the film is far better than the book oddly enough. I've yet to read his more famous works but I'm hoping to truly become a fan of his yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I hope you do come to read and enjoy his other works! He's definitely an important, influential force in speculative fiction, so I'm glad I've given him a try, even if he ultimately isn't my type of writer.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.