May 14, 2013

Top Ten Books Dealing With Tough Subjects

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by the bloggers of The Broke and the Bookish. This week we're all sharing a list of books that address what we consider to be tough subjects.

Speak & Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson — Tough subjected featured: depression, rape, eating disorders, death. From the two Anderson books I've read, she seems to tackle some extreme issues facing teenage girls in contemporary society. I enjoyed reading both of them, but found that I was able to better understand and connect with Melinda, the protagonist of Speak, over Lia, the protagonist of Wintergirls (perhaps due to the fact I was close to Melinda's age when I read Speak and only read Wintergirls recently). (My review of Wintergirls.)
If I Stay by Gayle Forman — Tough subject featured: death. While If I Stay was not the emotional or poignant read for me that I had hoped it would be, I know that it was for many, and witnessing how drastically protagonist Mia's life is altered by one freak accident is very tragic, as is her subsequent decision on whether to stay or go with her family. (My review.)
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green — Tough subject featured: Children dying from cancer. I haven't read many books dealing with cancer, because I don't tend to read many issue-driven contemporaries, and it's my personal opinion that there's enough death due to this disease in real life that I don't want to read a fictionalized account of people suffering from it as well. Nevertheless, Green's novel was touching and about so much more than cancer. (My review.)
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult — Tough subjects featured: cancer, crumbling interpersonal/family relationships. I'm sure that all of Picoult's books deal with tough subjects (she seems to be that sort of author), but this one in particular was touching and very sad. Not only does protagonist Anna have to deal with her older sister's struggle with leukemia and how that affects their family, but she also deals with the ethical issue of being treated as Kate's personal bone-marrow donor.
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold Tough subjects featured: kidnapping, rape, murder, learning to cope with grief. It's been years since I've read this one, but reading about Susie's kidnapping, rape, and subsequent murder from her perspective in the afterlife was heartbreaking, as was watching her witness her family become obsessed with finding out the truth about her disappearance.

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys — Tough subject featured: death, deportation, concentration camps, war. The story of Lina, her family, and the thousands of innocent Lithuanians deported from their homeland by the Soviet Union is a difficult read, as is most World War II fiction. Knowing that people really did endure situations similar to Lina is what makes this difficult story an absolutely powerful read. (My review.) 
This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers — Tough subjects featured: depression, domestic violence, death, zombie apocalypse. Summers is another author whose books seem to deal with a lot of tough issues facing teens. This is Not a Test has a post-apocalyptic bend to it, while her others seem to be more strictly contemporaries. I am currently reading Cracked Up to Be, and another interesting aspect of Summers' books appears to be suffering but still unlikable protagonists. (My review.)
The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker  Tough subject featured: natural disasters. I was not a huge fan of this book, primarily due to the subject matter. In Julia's world (which is basically our own), the Earth's rotation begins to slow down and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it. Julia's coming of age story is set against this completely chilling (and potentially probable) premise. I only wish I had better been able to connect with Julia throughout her trials and tribulations. (My review.)
In The Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters — Tough subjects featured: death, disease, war
. I could attempt to explain how this novel does broach on some difficult issues, but, really, the main reason I decided to include this is because of its emphasis on the horrific death of protagonist Mary Shelley's childhood friend and love, Stephen. I read about Stephen's death scene a few days after my own grandma passed away, and it made this book's view of death that much harder for me to read. (My review.)
Native Son
 by Richard Wright — Tough subjects featured: racism, rape, murder. While I definitely believe Wright's novel is an incredibly powerful read, it also is incredibly difficult to read about protagonist Biggar's plight, from the fear apparent in being a minority in a racially segregated world, to the ultimate manifestation of his desire to gain power for himself. (My review.)


Please let me know what are some of your top books that deal with tough subjects.
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

18 comments:

  1. SPEAK is on my list as well. I think everyone's lists are going to be very personal this week - and I like it. I'm finding many more books to add to my to-read pile than I thought I would. Thanks for sharing!

    If you'd like, you can check out my list here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am enjoying reading everyone else's lists myself. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Good list, I loved The Fault in Our Stars as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you listed "zombie apocalypse" as a tough subject! It definitely would be if it ever happened. I also really want to read This Is Not A Test sometime soon. I totally forgot about My Sister's Keeper and The Lovely Bones. They were both really hard books for me, especially the second one. I really enjoyed My Sister's Keeper. It was my first Picoult and it really surprised me. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha well...it could be possible, right? My Sister's Keeper was my first Picoult book as well. Still my favorite of hers. I wanted to see the film until I heard they changed the ending. Ugh it was so perfect I can't believe they did that.

      Delete
  4. I've read 7 of the books on your list (go, me!) and, like you, felt that they were all well-written and affecting. If I'm going to read an "issue" novel, I at least want it to be a good one, you know?

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I don't mind issue books, but I want them to be well-handled and respectful and all.

      Delete
  5. If I Stay, This is Not a Test, Between Shades of Gray, and Native Son are some of my favorites. I love this list, Amanda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to pick up This Is Not A Test. If I Stay is a good idea! I forgot all about that one. Lovely list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I encourage you to read This is Not a Test - it's very, very good! And now I'm reading Summers' backlog because I enjoyed it so much.

      Delete
  7. What a great list! Lots of my favorites on here (If I Stay, This is Not a Test, The Age of Miracles) and books I really need to read (The Fault In our Stars, Between Shades of Grey).

    My TTT list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do think some of the best books deal with dark issues. Or maybe I consider them better because I like reading about darker issues lol.

      Delete
  8. What Happens Next dealt with rape and was really good, but heartbreaking. If I Stay and Where She Went both gave my heart a great big squeeze! If I Stay was sad even before the loss, IMO. Even though Adam and Mia were so in love you could see their lives were headed in different directions. It was very bittersweet and then heartbreaking. Great choices, Amanda. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want to read What Happens Next! One of these days lol. I don't know why If I Stay didn't work out for me. I still do see the sadness though. Thanks, Rachel!

      Delete
  9. I'm sometimes in the mood for books dealing with tough subjects, I've read three books off your list; This is not a test, Speak and If I stay and I definitely did enjoy them. Sometimes I have to be in the right mood for a book which deals with a tough issue, so I'll definitely have to check some of your recommendations out then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - you definitely do. Perhaps that's why I felt so underwhelmed by If I Stay. I do hope you're able to check some of these out when you're in the right mood to, Jasprit!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.