May 12, 2013

Bout of Books 7.0

With my class now over, I now have close to two months of free evenings. To celebrate that fact, I decided to participate in my first read-a-thon ever! 

What is Bout of Books?

The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, May 13th and runs through Sunday, May 19th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 7.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog.
- From the Bout of Books team

Due to a particularly busy schedule right now, lately I've only been averaging about one and a half books per week. For this read-a-thon, I'm trying to up my numbers and read four full books (we'll see how likely that really is). The books that I hope to read are:

Moonglass by Jessi Kirby 
The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson 
Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers 
How to Save a Life by Sarah Zarr 

And, if by some miracle I still have time:
The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson 

Contemporaries are usually quicker reads for me, so that's why those are my main picks. I adore the world-building that comes with speculative fiction, but if I'm trying to get through books at a faster pace this week, then I don't want to have to worry about figuring out world-building as I read. Except for The Crown of Embers, which is a sequel so I feel as though I already have a good understanding of the world-building there. 

I also want to make a concerted effort to work on my twitter presence and interact with bloggers. There's still a little time before the event starts, so if you're interested in signing up, please go here.
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

8 comments:

  1. Amanda, I absolutely LOVE every single one of these books - except Moonglass which I have yet to read. CoE is just amazing, though, and The Sky is Everywhere is one of my all-time favorites. How to Save a Life made me tear up and Cracked Up to Be is so raw and gutting. You'll definitely enjoy all of these, so enjoy!(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Keertana! I hope I do. I do believe that I will, though, especially after reading your glowing reviews of many of them. :)

      Delete
  2. I really love Courtney Summers books. And she is really fun to follow on Twitter. Good luck with your read-a-thon!

    Angie
    My goals for Bout of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie! So excited to participate in this.

      Delete
  3. I sat on the floor of my bathroom finishing How to Save a Life because I could not sleep and I didn't want my husband to wake up. Such a great book. I also love Moonglass. I hope you do too! Good luck with your reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw. Now that's the sign of a good book. Pretty sure I'd be lazy and keep my boyfriend up rather than reading in the bathroom. :) Thanks, Estelle!

      Delete
  4. LOVE Crown of Embers and The Sky is Everywhere! I really want to read How to Save a Life. Moonglass was good, but I'm hoping to love Golden more. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moonglass was okay but not impressive to me. Good luck on your challenge! I never do well on these! Jasprit is taking this on, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.