March 25, 2014

Top Ten Things On My Bookish Bucket List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the BookishThis week we're discussing our top ten book-related bucket list items. I'm not sure these really are at the top of my bookish bucket list, but they all are things I'd ideally love to accomplish in my reading life one day.

First of all, there are a ton of classics that I want to read:
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas - I love the film and I'm pretty sure I'll love the book. I've heard great things about the actual written story and I do love me some nineteenth-century fiction.  
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy - I've started this book three times now. That's just unacceptable. I refuse to let any book best me, and, besides that, I am actually interested in the story here (just not the way it's being told, apparently).
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo - I love the play. And I love the idea of the book. I actually own this and think that I'll enjoy reading it. I just need to devote some serious time and concentration to doing so.
Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery - I think I'm probably breaking some serious taboo in that I never read these books as a child. From what I've heard, though, I think I'll still enjoy Anne's stories very much as an adult.
The entirety of Charles Dickens' corpus - Because I actually like the works of his that I've read (well, not Our Mutual Friend, but I consider that to be a rare exception). And I just love the idea of reading an author's entire published works. 

Read 100 new books in one year:
This is more than do-able, just not with my current schedule. But I think it would be awesome to say I've read that many books in a year. Plus, when would being able to read 100 new books in a single year ever be a bad thing? More books to love, more favorite authors to find.

Attend more author events:
This involves both me being more aware of events held in my area and also being able to make the time/commitment to actually attend them. I made a start this year with meeting Lois Lowry and I plan on attending the summer Fierce Reads tour in Milwaukee (which I'm super excited about).

And, more specifically, I'd love to meet:
J.K. Rowling - Probably never going to happen, but she's definitely the person most responsible for fostering my love of reading, writing, and the fantasy genre. I can dream, right?
Megan Whalen Turner - Also unlikely, unfortunately. Of all the authors I've read, I probably respect her writing the most. I'm a very verbose writer and I admire how tightly constructed her prose is. And she's been a major influence of mine since I first read The Thief.

Read more diverse books:
I'm not going to be too picky about which books will qualify as more diverse. Basically, those that deal with a variety of perspectives, genders, races, classes, etc. that are recent releases, as well as those that are older. As much as I love books considered to be part of the classical canon, I recognize the fact that so, so many wonderful books never received the exposure they should have because of their content or author, and that's something I can and will disagree with.

Please let me know what items made their way onto your bookish bucket list!
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda, I'm currently listening to The Count of Monte Cristo. I heard nothing but great things about the movie and book as well. Glad you enjoyed the movie(: I'm waiting to finish the book and then watch the movie. I don't know if it's weird, but I love reading the book first before I catch up on the movie.
    I've checked out Anna Karenina from library multiple times and haven't gotten past 50 pages. I like the story but I'm not able to articulate why I haven't finished it. Hope to read it this year for sure.
    Confession time, I haven't read Anne of Green Gables either. One of my friend gifted me the book for my birthday! I really want to read it soon.
    100 new books sounds amazing. That's always my dream,(reality sucks with insane work load).
    You met, Lois Lowry!! OMG (: Lucky you!! As a fellow Wisconsin resident, I'm also looking forward to attend summer Fierce Reads tour.
    I totally agree on reading diverse books. I decided not to be finicky about books.
    Your bookish bucket list is almost the same as mine. (: Great minds think alike ;-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally prefer to read books before watching movies if I'm actually interested in reading the book. Sometimes, though, I don't care enough about the story to want to devote all those hours to reading and then watching, so I'll be content just to see the film. But I am like you in many cases.
      Ooh you must read Anne soon! Especially since you have a copy. I need to get one - it would definitely give me more motivation to actually start reading it.
      And yes haha. Clearly we do. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.