March 2, 2014

Showcase Sunday #12

Showcase Sunday is a weekly meme hosted by Vicki at Books, Biscuits and Tea. Its aim is to showcase our newest books or book related swag and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops and downloaded onto eReaders this week.
Received:
Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi
So apparently people actually win Goodreads First Reads contests? And by people, I mean me? Not going to lie, I was super excited to receive an email from Goodreads letting me know that I'd won. I first heard of this "Snow White" retelling through SurLaLune's Amazon list fairy-tale influenced fiction being released in 2014. I've heard good things about Oyeyemi's works since then and can't wait to read this myself!


Purchased:
The Archived (The Archived, #1) by Victoria Schwab
Yes, please! All the ways that buying this book just worked perfectly for me: I've been meaning to read something by Victoria Schwab, it was on sale for 99 cents, and it's about a magical archive. From what I've heard about this, it should be right up my alley. Here's hoping I'm right!
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead
A friend and I both bought copies of the first book in this series when it was a Kindle Daily Deal in February and are going to try to see the movie after reading it. I'll admit the thoughts on this series seem to be all over the place, but hopefully I can derive some enjoyment from this book. I'm going in with middling expectations.
Mistwood (Mistwood, #1) by Leah Cypess
I think Sarah J. Maas mentioned this as one an inspirational YA fantasy for her. I haven't actually started Maas' series yet, but I'm always on the lookout for some great YA fantasies, and I also knew that Cypess has a new series coming out this year (starting with Death Sworn). Long story short: I found this on sale for Kindle and didn't think twice about purchasing it.

Borrowed:
Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer
I read this one right away! Despite not being blown away by Scarlet, I was super curious to see what was next in store for Cinder & co. And overall I really liked this one. Cress is an adorable addition to the team, and I could really see how super conscious Meyer was of being respectful to the original "Rapunzel" tale while also trying to make it her own. Now to begin the long wait for Winter.
Strangers on a Train by Patricia Highsmith
This is my current book club read. I haven't started yet, but I know that this was the inspiration for Hitchcock's film "Strangers on a Train" and also it's apparently fairly well-referenced in modern culture. The basic premise is that two strangers meet on a train and convince each other to do the others' dirty work (murder, I think).

Please let me know what books you've recently acquired!
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

6 comments:

  1. These books sound great! I really hope you enjoy them all :)

    My Showcase Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like Cress is very popular this week as well. Awesome haul of books this week.

    Grace
    Books of Love
    http://gracebooksoflove.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to get back to The Lunar Chronicles trilogy. I've only read the first book, which was an okay sort of read for me, but I have heard great things about the rest of the books. I hope you enjoy all your books Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed CRESS, Amanda, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of The Archived. I'm determined to begin the series myself, but only one the entire trilogy is out. I liked Mistwood - didn't love it - and my feelings for Death Sworn were similar, but I'm curious to see how our thoughts compare. Happy Reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to read Cinder but everyone seems to love Cress! I also bought The Archived for $0.99! Can't beat that kind of deal. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I am the only one that liked Scarlet more than Cress. I really LOVVVEEED the characters in Cress and it made me fall in love with Thorne, but overall as a book, I liked Scarlet better. I just found it more exciting. Maybe on a reread I would feel differently?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.