March 31, 2014

The Monthly Digest: March 2014

Welcome back to The Monthly Digest here at Late Nights with Good Books. With these posts I hope to recap everything reading- and blogging-related for the past month.

The Books

Favorite Read from March:
All the Truth That's in Me by Julie Berry

Notable Quote from March: 
Like the clanging of the bell, the truth crashes in upon me. At last I understand. He took away my voice to save me. And now, to save myself, I take it back.
Julie Berry, All The Truth That's in Me

The Blog
March Reviews:

March Features:

The Writing
Writing research:
I finished reading The Hard Facts of the Grimms' Fairy Tales by Maria Tatar. It was a slower, heavier sort of read, but I liked it overall. And I know more now about Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm than I ever expected to know.

I'm currently in the process of reading The Tough Guide to Fantasyland by Diana Wynne Jones. It's not quite what I expected (more of a dictionary/encyclopedia than anything else), but also quite tongue-in-cheek, which is refreshing.

Writing progress:
None again. I'm ashamed, yes, but more saddened than anything else. And also flabbergasted. I love creative writing and yet somehow I manage to avoid doing any writing.

I think this Goodreads Quote of the Day from Saturday, March 22 best sums up my problems:
Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on. 
Louis L'Amour

It's partially (or perhaps largely) fear that has prevented me from writing. It's been quite a while since I really worked on creative works, and I'm worried that I just won't be able to do it anymore. Silly worries, perhaps, but true nonetheless. It's time to face my fears head-on, which is why April is going to be a writing month for me. And with that...

An Announcement:
Except for a review or two for books recently published/being published in April, I will be taking a hiatus for the month of April. I'm having a difficult time balancing everything I want to do right now, and recently blogging's begun to feel like a chore. I still like writing reviews, but I haven't had the time or energy to devote to writing other posts or interacting with the community as a whole. I need time to recharge and reevaluate. Hopefully I'll be back to business as usual in May.

And...I'm thinking of trying out Camp NaNo. Maybe. At least, I'm going to use the fact that lots of people are attempting to write stories this month as a way to inspire me to finally start writing that WIP I've been sitting on for forever. Wish me luck! (No, seriously, I'll need it.)

How was your March?
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

8 comments:

  1. Firstly, Yay !! for Camp NaNo. Wish you All the best, Amanda(:
    All the Truth That's in Me is definitely an amazing book. Glad you loved it (: I've been meaning to read the Grimm's fairy tales, Can't wait to know more about Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm.
    Take all the time you need and return back with full energy. Definitely gonna Miss you.. I'll be on the lookout for your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not doing Camp NaNo, but I have big writing plans for this month nonetheless and I'm very excited about them. I already feel my creative juices flowing again. :)
      I freaking loved All the Truth That's in Me! Already a contender as one of my favorite books of the year.
      And thank you, dear! Very much appreciated. <3

      Delete
  2. I hope April will be the month, Amanda! Perhaps taking hiatus will help you focus on the writing too. :) I find it can be hard to get things done - anything, really - when you have a huge list of things to go. It can sort of be demotivating just thinking about it all. But I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a productive but relaxing month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam! I wasn't as productive as I'd hoped, but not being productive made me realize that I really needed the time off, which is also an important realization to make. Now back to juggling blogging with the rest of my life, but on easier, less stressful terms. :)

      Delete
  3. I absolutely LOVED Berry's debut, so I'm glad to see you enjoyed it immensely as well, Amanda! Am very curious to compare thoughts on Winner's Curse and Nowhere But Home and am looking forward to seeing what you thought of Strangers on a Train and Fortune's Pawn. It looks like you had a fantastic March and we all need a break once-in-awhile, so enjoy your April, Amanda! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I'll have those three reviews posted soon. This hiatus gave me a bit of a review backlog (not that I'm complaining). And thank you, Keertana! My break was much needed. :)

      Delete
  4. You read three of my very favorites in March - The Winner's Curse, Nowhere but Home and All the Truth That's In Me! It made me so happy to see those in your post :)

    And I hear ya on the hiatus! It's always nice to take a break when you feel like blogging is becoming overwhelming. Hope you get lots done this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, two of the three you mentioned happened to be two of my favorite 2014 reads so far (Nowhere But Home and All the Truth That's in Me). We shall have to discuss them. :)
      Thanks, Hannah! It was definitely a good idea for me to take a break, but I'm ready to come back now!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.