February 12, 2014

Review: The Chocolate Thief by Laura Florand



The Chocolate Thief by Laura Florand
Series: Amour et Chocolat, #1
Published: 2012, Kensington Books
Genre: Adult Romance, Contemporary
Source: Purchased
Goodreads · Amazon · Barnes & Noble

A thief who stole chocolate but not his laptop? He might have to marry her. He could feel himself falling in love just at the idea.
He hoped she had worn black leather pants.

 


Cade Corey is heiress to a multimillion dollar chocolate empire. Every minute thousands of Americans eat Corey Bars (sold for 33 cents at Walmart). The Corey empire also owns a significant percentage of all the cacao plantations around the world. Cade has spent her whole life working for the family business, and decides she wants to help the company grow even more by creating an artisan chocolate line, preferably with the name of a famous Parisian chocolatier attached to it.

Sylvain Marquis is widely considered to be Paris’ premier chocolatier, and so Cade travels to France to proposition him with a business arrangement. Sylvain, however, has no desire to sell out–or to lower himself to make chocolate that would be sold at grocery stores. Although their meeting is less than ideal, Cade remains in Paris to seek other potential business partners. But Cade finds she cannot stay away from Sylvain’s chocolaterie, nor can she get him out of her head. And, unbeknownst to her, she haunts Sylvain’s thoughts as well. And his chocolaterie. Parisian chocolate may have brought them together, but a relationship between them will be anything but easy.

The Chocolate Thief is actually a pretty decent mix of steamy, mindless romance and thought-provoking reflections on how we should live our lives (and what we owe to others). First and foremost this story acts as a character study for Cade and Sylvain. Cade arrived at Paris with a specific purpose: to create a new line of artisan chocolates for the company, expanding their reach economically and globally. I love Cade’s determination in pursuing this goal, even as chocolatier after chocolatier turns her down and it seems more and more impossible to accomplish. Despite her determination, in many ways Cade has been compliant with all of her father’s wishes. So much of her life has been laid out for her, and she’s had few opportunities to really discover what she likes, and what she wants to do. Going to Paris is really her first assertion of her own wants. And, fortunately for this book, it’s not her last.

Unlike Cade, Sylvain has wanted – and chosen – to be a chocolatier ever since he first began experimenting with chocolate as an awkward, gangly teen and realized it was his best chance at impressing girls. Since then he’s come into his own, both physically and emotionally. Chocolate defines him, giving him purpose. He cannot – will not – accept Cade’s offer, because to do so would compromise his integrity and sense of self. I respected that aspect of Sylvain’s character, even though at times it made him come across as incredibly pretentious.

The romance that develops between Cade and Sylvain is of the typical hate-turned-into-love variety, but that doesn’t make it any less effective. Despite their differences – or perhaps because of them – Cade and Sylvain learn to better develop and appreciate their personal moral stances on issues. There’s nothing like a challenge to your ideals to make you really examine what those ideals are, after all.

Of course, at times the romance felt a bit over the top. Certain scenes made me alternately roll my eyes and laugh. Yet I did enjoy reading about their romance overall. It’s definitely sensual. And while I appreciated how their relationship helped both Cade and Sylvain to grow, I found myself a little bit disappointed that the majority of the novel was really about Cade’s growth, not about Sylvain’s. I understand that Cade is the protagonist, but the portrayal of her relationship certainly hinged on Cade adopting the more traditionally female roles of lack of experience, submission, youth, and naivete. This didn’t bother me so much while I was reading, but it was definitely something I noticed, and I wish that Florand could have played around with their roles within the relationship a little bit more.

As one might assume, The Chocolate Thief is a very French-oriented novel. Now, let me explain: I have never studied the French language. I know next to nothing about the French culture. My lack of prior knowledge perhaps helped me gain a little bit of understanding about the culture (or, at least, how the culture is portrayed in this book), but I also felt as though certain concepts and phrases went entirely over my head. Florand peppers her prose with many French phrases. Some are more easily inferred than others, but I still ended up skipping over a significant percentage without one ounce of understanding. As a reader, I’m frustrated when I’m not able to really grasp parts of books, especially because of something as incidental as a language barrier.

An additional note: do not read this book while not within easy proximity of chocolate. Within easy proximity of good chocolate, I should say. Seriously. I’m not one to eat while reading, nor do descriptions of food and drink usually affect me, but Florand has a way with words when it comes to chocolate. My main takeaway from this book: get to a chocolaterie and try some real chocolate as soon as possible.

The Chocolate Thief isn’t a bad book; in fact, it was an absolutely perfect pick for a lazy weekend. It’s fun, engrossing, and full of temptation (both of the romantic and chocolate persuasions). For a romance, I actually enjoyed this better than I expected I would. And I shall return to Florand’s series when I need a break from heavier, less romance-driven books.

Rating: 3 stars
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

14 comments:

  1. Oh sorry to see you didn't like this much, Amanda. I love this series. Oh well, not every book is for every reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. And I still did enjoy this, even if I didn't love it. Maybe I just need to read the story of a different set of protagonists from this series.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed Florand's writing - it takes me in every time - though I'm sorry you didn't love this one. I think I saw Cade's role as naturally stereotype-defying as she's a businesswoman with so much flair and power in her father's company. I think the fact that she presents such a strong, feminist exterior, especially in comparison to Sylvain's lady friend from the beginning of the novel, but allows herself to be more submissive with Sylvain was indicative, to me at least, of how well-matched they are. Sylvain finds her bossy, headstrong nature attractive from the start and the fact that Cade is comfortable enough with Sylvain to be more vulnerable spoke volumes to me. I do agree, though, that it would have been nice to see/hear a little more of Sylvain's transformation to adulthood, but I felt as if he still grappled with so many issues, particularly in opening up and letting others (namely Cade) in completely to his feelings that it didn't bother me too much. If you decide to continue with this series or Florand's work, I hope you have more luck with it in the future, Amanda! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I agree Cade started out as defying traditional stereotypes. And she started out as such a spitfire when she and Sylvain first interact, which is why I think he is drawn to her. But I feel as though over the course of the novel she not only becomes less certain of herself, but becomes more and more like what Sylvain expects. She becomes more of a student of his than his equal, begins to disregard certain American sentimentalities in favor of French ones (which Sylvain prefers).
      So I wasn't the biggest fan of their particular relationship, but I still enjoyed the book overall. Perhaps other romances in this series between new characters will not have as many problems as this one did for me. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  3. I've had my eye on this one for some time now. Looks like one to keep on hand when I'm in need of some fluff. :) Glad to see you enjoyed it for the most part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely some good romantic fluff. I hope you give it a try, Bonnie!

      Delete
  4. Sometimes books like this are exactly what I need to recharge. I'm glad you had fun with it overall, even if you did have a few issues here and there. I can see the use of the French phrases probably flying over my head too, but I like the sound of the romance and look forward to meeting Cade and Sylvain one day. Lovely review, Amanda! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam! And yes - contemporaries are generally my go-to when I need to recharge, but I think that romances such as this can also do the trick. I hope you enjoy this when you eventually read it yourself!

      Delete
  5. I was able to grab a copy of this book recently and definitely think I will be giving it a go in between my heavier emotional reads (I have been reading a lot of these lately!). I was told about the French phrases being used in this book, but I didn't realise that it was so overdone, I'm not really sure how I feel about that. Also thanks for the heads up about the craving for chocolate whilst reading this book. I will make sure I have a nice supply at the ready! Fab review Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a great in-between book! And maybe that's me being nitpicky? I don't like not being able to understand words in the books I read haha. And having chocolate at hand will be a very good idea, I think. :) Thanks, Jasprit!

      Delete
  6. My friend Karen @ For What It's Worth Reviews loves this series. I didn't realize this was a series and I requested a book in the middle. I think I need to go back and read this first book.
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a series in a very loose sense of the word. My understanding is that each story features different characters, but they're all romances maybe set in Paris and dealing with sweets? Although many people seem to love this series, so I'm sure you can't go wrong starting from the beginning!

      Delete
  7. I am ALWAYS looking for a book to enjoy on a lazy weekend. I need to start my copy of this story now. I love that it focuses on the characters and chocolate and Paris of course! This sentence made me want to pick this up now: "The Chocolate Thief is actually a pretty decent mix of steamy, mindless romance and thought-provoking reflections on how we should live our lives (and what we owe to others)." LOVE that combo in my romances. Glad you liked this overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I need more lazy weekends, but this is still a perfect read for them. And I haven't read too many romances yet, but I think that combination you highlighted from my review will be my preference in picking out romances as well!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.