August 8, 2012

Waiting on Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights any upcoming releases that we’re eagerly anticipating.
 Release date: March 12, 2013
A sweeping Gothic thriller based on the spine-chilling "Bluebeard" fairytale.
17-year-old Sophia Petheram has been sheltered by her doting family all her life, until the day her father dies. It's 1855, and with no money and few options, she goes to live with her guardian, the mysterious Bernard de Cressac, at the astonishingly lavish Wyndriven Abbey in Mississippi.

Sophie has always longed for a comfortable life, and she finds herself both attracted to and shocked by the charm and easy manners of her overgenerous guardian. But as she begins to piece together the mystery of his past, it's as if thread by thread, a silken net is woven around her. And when she begins glimpsing the ghosts of his former wives (all with hair as red as her own) in the forgotten corners and dark hallways of the Abbey, Sophie knows she's in de Cressac's trap.

With enchanting romance, chilling suspense, and dashes of the supernatural, Strands of Bronze and Gold is a compulsively-readable debut.
(Goodreads)
After recently reading Shannon Hale's The Goose Girl, I've come to the realization that I need more fairy-tale retellings in my life. And this is a Bluebeard fairy-tale retelling! Bluebeard is one of those fairy tales that I've read and am vaguely familiar with and all, but its different versions and retellings have never been on my radar. The Goodreads description promises a dark and creepy tale. I hope it lives up to my expectations! 
What are you waiting on?
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

11 comments:

  1. First off, Gothic thriller. Bluebeard retelling. Enchanting romance. Chilling suspense. It's going to be amazing! So far away though! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Hopefully there will be lots of amazing books to distract us until then.

      Delete
  2. Great pick... This sounds really good...


    Jenea @ Books Live Forever
    http://booksliveforever.com/?p=2995

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I hope it lives up to all the expectations now. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pick! This is the first I've heard of this. I'm glad you brought it to my attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha glad to bring it to your attention then! And thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  5. I'm not familiar with the Bluebeard fairy tale but this sounds really good! Re-telling are getting so popular right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It makes me so happy - I love retellings so much! You should read Bluebeard (it's very short). Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. You can read the original Bluebeard Story (from the Brothers Grimm) at Jane Nickerson's website: www.jane-nickerson.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool, thanks! I've read the original tale, but I'll definitely need to check out her website then.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.