August 26, 2012

In My Mailbox #5

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren. It's a great way for book bloggers to showcase books and other literary things they've received over the past week.

This week was a good one for me! 

For review:
Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft (Audrey's Guides, #1) by Jody Gehrman
Author Jody Gehrman graciously gave me a copy of her first YA book. Thank you! Last year I read Witch Child by Celia Rees, but apparently I don't read books about witches very often, and this book also features a necromancer and baking!? I am very curious to see what this story is like.

 
Purchased:
Finnikin of the Rock (The Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta
I read Finnikin of the Rock back in January this year at the recommendation of a good friend. It took me a while to get warmed up to, but I ended up loving it. It's still one of my favorite books I've read this year, so I just needed to have my own copy.  
Froi of the Exiles (The Lumatere Chronicles, #2) by Melina Marchetta
I have yet to read Froi of the Exiles, despite having borrowed it from the library months ago. After loving both Jellicoe Road and Finnikin of the Rock, I decided that I needed more Melina Marchetta in my life, even if Froi was not my favorite character from the previous book.

Library:
The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
Courtney of Courtney Reads a Lot read this book a few months back and recommended that I should read it myself. I adore fairy tale retellings and couldn't resist picking this up from the library. Plus this is a darker retelling that is technically classified as adult fiction. I've been feeling the lack of adult fiction in my life recently.


I haven't participated in this meme for quite a while. I usually find that I don't receive enough books on a weekly basis to justify participating in this meme, or else I will post the book's review very shortly and so I don't feel the need to showcase it only a week or so before a full review comes anyway. But sometimes I do want to display bookish things I've recently acquired that I'm super excited about. Perhaps I'll continue to participate on a biweekly or monthly schedule. We'll see.

Anyway, please let me know what you've received in your mailbox this week!
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

10 comments:

  1. Oh i'm currently reading Finnikin of the rock and I really like it :).
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay there's no such thing as too much love for Finnikin of the Rock. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Oh what a nice haul! :D I recently read Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft and really liked it. (: I've also heard great things of Finnikin of the Rock. (:

    Hope you enjoy your books this week!! <3 I'm a new follower. (:
    Here is my IMM !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear it! I've only read one review of Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft so far, but I'm looking forward to reading it myself. And yes, Finnikin is amazing and you should read it!

      Thanks for the comment and follow, Karen!

      Delete
  3. OMG yay!! I fell completely in love with Melina Marchetta this year as well, and cannot wait to read her fantasy series since that's probably even more up my ally than contemp. I bought the first one myself about a month ago, but I'm glad to see you liked it so much you had to buy a copy!

    Also I've heard only incredibly good things about The Book of Lost Things. It's on my list of books I really must prioritize, so I'm excited to see what you think!

    Happy reading. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you need to read her fantasy series asap! I'm super curious as to your thoughts on it. :) My only regret about buying copies is that they're the American editions, which means that I need to wait until spring to buy the American edition of Quintana now...but hopefully I'll find ways to occupy myself until then. The Book of Lost Things was very good. I just finished it and will be posting a review soon. Another one you need to read! Thanks for commenting, Heidi!

      Delete
  4. Really liking the Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft cover. Red dresses really catch my eye. I've also heard great things about The Book of Lost Things. Can't wait to see your review!
    -Jenna @ Fans of Fiction (new follower)
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty cover, I must agree. :) And The Book of Lost Things was very good, definitely deserves mention. Thanks so much for stopping by and for the follow, Jenna!

      Delete
  5. Awww you linked me. I feel special. :D glad you enjoyed my recommendation and bought melina marchetta's books. Love Finn! Great IMM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it was your recommendation. :) And thank you!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.