January 31, 2015

The Monthly Digest: January 2015


Welcome back to The Monthly Digest here at Late Nights with Good Books. With these posts I hope to recap everything reading- and blogging-related for the past month.

Books I Read

Favorite Read from January:
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Notable Quote from January:
They grew up on the outside of society. They weren't looking for a fight. They were looking to belong.
―S.E. Hinton, The Outsiders
January Features:

In My Life
1. I participated in this year's Mock Awards held by my library system. Our winners were: Sam and Dave Dig a Hole by Mac Barnett (Caldecott), The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier (Newbury), and The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton (Printz).

2. Classes started up again for me. This semester I'm taking classes on the public library, collection development, and young adult literature. The good news is that I'm excited for all three of my classes. The bad news is that I will have a ton of reading and writing for the next few months. I'm just hoping I can find a way to balance everything so I don't end up with another blogging hiatus.

3. I attended a Summer Library Program workshop through my job that was so inspirational. It helped me to think about new ways to encourage literacy in children and ways to make kids want to come to the library. Plus, I met a few awesome people there.

4. I started listening to the Serial podcast and I'm hooked. It's much easier to and it makes the time go by much faster than just watching TV does (I'm checking the clock every few minutes now, rather than every few seconds). Though I'm not sure what I'll do once I finish Serial...

5. As this posts, I'll be on my way to ALA-Midwinter. Prior plans fell through, so now I'm only attending for the day, but I'm still excited about it. I'll have a recap up within a week or two.

How was your January?
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed NAME OF THE WIND and I'm also so impressed by all you accomplished this month! Amazing job, Amanda! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Keertana! :)
      I still have left the daunting task of trying to review The Name of the Wind, though. We'll see how that goes...

      Delete
  2. You've done a lot this month! And yay for library classes! I just started two and I'm excited :) I hope you have fun at ALA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's seriously amazing how much you accomplish with your program and classes. Looking forward to your ALA recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Aylee! My ALA recap is scheduled for tomorrow (finally!). :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.