December 9, 2014

Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2014

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week we're discussing the top ten authors we've discovered this past year, both recently published and not. 

Author: Julie Berry
Why: I've made no secret of my love for All the Truth That's in Me. It is definitely among my favorite books read this year. And if my library hold comes in within the next week or so, I'm hoping to close off my year with another Berry book, though one that sounds quite different. But hopefully just as wonderful.

Book Read: Something Real
Next Book: Exquisite Captive
Why: Something Real was a pleasant surprise. Demetrios created a story centered around a reality television show and actually made it into a meaningful story. But not going to lie - Exquisite Captive sounds more like my type of story.
 
Author: Kate Forsyth
Book Read: Bitter Greens
Next Book: The Wild Girl
Why: I haven't written my review for this just yet, but Bitter Greens was everything I'd hoped it would be, and then some. I was just so impressed with the amount of research Forsyth put into it, along with the interwoven storylines. So, so good. Hopefully I won't have to wait as long for her historical fiction retelling of a woman who falls in love with Wilhelm Grimm to be published in the United States.

Author: Scott Lynch
Why: I read The Lies of Locke Lamora back at the beginning of the year and I literally cannot stop thinking about it. I still hate the comparison to Ocean's Eleven, because this is far superior to the film in every possible way. I love clever books featuring clever characters, and this one has that in spades. Also, I've found myself to be a huge book pusher of it, so I should probably get on reading its sequel.

Author: Helen Oyeyemi
Book Read: Boy, Snow, Bird
Next Book: Mr. Fox
Why: Oyeyemi writes stories influenced by fairy tales and include elements of magical realism; of course I'm going to want to continue to read her works! Boy, Snow, Bird was a super ambitious book and so clever, even if it didn't work out for me completely. I've heard good things about Mr. Fox, however, and I'm hoping it really works for me.

Author: Liza Palmer
Book Read: Nowhere But Home
Next Book: Seeing Me Naked
Why: Nowhere But Home was another book I wasn't sure would work for me, but turned out to be a pleasant surprise. And it has given me an interest in reading more food-oriented books, including Palmer's Seeing Me Naked. It feels so nice to have an established adult contemporary author to fall back on when I feel the urge to read these sort of books.
Book Read: The Winner's Curse
Next Book: The Winner's Crime
Why: I didn't fall head-over-heels in love with The Winner's Curse the way that most readers seem to have. But I nevertheless appreciate a well-realized fantasy world, and most especially a fantasy that gets everyone reading it. More fantasy, always! I'm hoping the minor issues I had with the first book will be nonexistent in the second one.

Author: Robin Talley
Next Book: As I Descended
Why: Oh man was Lies We Tell Ourselves a powerful novel. I loved Sarah and Linda and all their individual problems and how they learn to overcome their prejudices for one another. As I Descended is set to be published in 2016 and is a modern-day retelling of Macbeth centered around a lesbian couple at a boarding school.

Author: Leslye Walton
Next Book: Whatever she publishes next!
Why: I think that The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows... might be one of those polarizing books where either you love the fluid, descriptive writing and the story of the Roux women, or you really don't. Fortunately I'm in the former category. This was such a creative book (and has received some well-deserved Best of Books mentions) and I can't wait to see what Walton writes next!

I stopped at nine when I realized that I'd be stretching the qualifications for the authors included. But I'm happy with the nine authors and their works that I've included. 

Please let me know what new-to-you authors top your list!
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.