October 31, 2014

The Monthly Digest: October 2014

Welcome back to The Monthly Digest here at Late Nights with Good Books. With these posts I hope to recap everything reading- and blogging-related for the past month.

The Books

Favorite Read from October:
I'm actually not sure. I enjoyed a number of these, but nothing really stood out to me. If I had to pick, I'd go with Starglass by Phoebe North.

Notable Quote from October:
And there comes a time in your life when you realize that if you don't take the opportunity to be happy, you may never get another chance again.
Richard Russo, Empire Falls


October Features:


In My Life
Unsurprisingly, October was a pretty busy month for me. So much has been happening that's required me to keep moving that I haven't had much of a chance to reflect on all the changes.

First off, I was offered a part-time youth reference assistant job at a public library. Yay! It's been a wonderful experience so far, and has really helped justify my desire to become a public librarian (not to mention it's now making me strongly consider becoming a youth librarian in particular). It's also been really nice to finally start practically applying all that I've been learning from my classes.

Because my job is focused on children, I am going to make some slight reading and reviewing adjustments. I haven't read many books targeted at an audience younger than YA recently, but now I'm going to start reading more MG fiction. I want to be able to give recommendations for books I've actually read, after all. So expect some more MG reviews on here (though probably not books for any audiences younger than that).

Between the new job, my classes, homework, and splitting my home between two locations, blogging's kind of had to take a backseat, and this trend will probably continue at least until the semester ends. However, I am participating in SciFi November. I plan on having about five reviews and two or three other posts going up throughout the month (just have to write them up), so be on the lookout for them!

How was your October?
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

4 comments:

  1. I really loved The Martin and Ready Player One. Hoping to get to The Cure for Dreaming this month! Exciting news about your job at the library! Middle Grade books can be a ton of fun so I'm looking forward to your recommendations too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I so want to read Ready Player One and really need to pick up Cure for Dreaming. I enjoyed Free to Fall so I'm curious to see what you think of it. Congrats on your new job, though, Amanda! It's good to keep busy so glad this has been a good month for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yey I'm so glad you've started at a library and are enjoying it! If you need middle grade recommendations let me know ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the new job!! One of the reasons I got into reading YA was that I was volunteering at the library and wanted to be able to help the kids find books they'd love :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.