August 31, 2014

The Monthly Digest: August 2014


Welcome back to The Monthly Digest here at Late Nights with Good Books. With these posts I hope to recap everything reading- and blogging-related for the past month.

The Books

Favorite Read from August:
Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley

Notable Quote from August:
I know that people change. I thought ... I thought we're going to change together. I thought that's what it meant to be in love.
Rainbow Rowell, Attachments

The Blog
August Reviews:
Prisoner of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Half a King by Joe Abercrombie
The Glass Casket by McCormick Templeton
Legend trilogy by Marie Lu
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley

August Features:
ARC August Sign-Up
Showcase Sunday #16
Top Ten Books I'm Not Sure I Want To Read
Ready to Become a Fan of... Patrick Ness
Top Ten Books I Really Want To Read But Don't Own Yet


In My Life
August was a crazy month for me. I quit my job in preparation for becoming a full-time Library and Information Sciences grad student starting this September. My priorities for the indefinite future will be classes and finding a part-time job. And blogging, too.

Immediately after finishing my job, I went to visit relatives for an extended weekend. Then the following weekend my boyfriend and I traveled to a college friend's wedding; she's actually getting married today!

All in all, I'm a bit surprised by how much reading I got done. But a couple of plane rides and a bit of free time helped tremendously. As did participating in ARC August - I'll have a recap of my challenge posted early next week.

So much change is a bit scary, but I'm trying to learn to embrace all the uncertainties and maintain a positive attitude. After all, change is exciting, too.

How was your August?

author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

1 comment:

  1. I loooove that quote from Attachments--so beautiful.

    My August has been full of changes too, Amanda! I just moved into college and--wow!--what a change. I'm a creature of habit but embracing change has definitely been a task I've had to get used to this past week with orientation. I hope your September is even more fruitful! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.