February 27, 2013

Further Readings of Tam Lin

As Project: Fairy Tale draws to a close, I wanted to leave my readers with a list of sources and various retellings of "Tam Lin." Obviously in a month I couldn't touch upon them all, so here's a list I created of some stories related to the ballad (that I believe are actually still in print).
Original versions:
Francis James Childe versions A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K

Fairy Tales from Scotland by Barbara Ker Wilson
Scottish Folk-Tales and Legends by Barbara Ker Wilson
  
Picture books:
Tam Lin by Susan Cooper
Wild Robin by Susan Jeffers
Tam Lin by Jane Yolen 

Short stories:
"He Said, Sidhe Said" by Tanya Huff, in the anthology Finding Magic
"Cotillion" by Delia Sherman, in the anthology Firebirds
"Tam Lin" by Joan Vinge, in the anthology Imaginary Lands
"Burd Janet" by Jane Yolen, in the collection Not Only Damsel in Distress

Novels:
No Earthly Sunne by Margaret Ball
Tithe by Holly Black
Tam Lin by Sullivan Clarke
Tam Lin by Pamela Dean
The Shadow and the Rose by Amanda DeWees
Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones
The Ballad of Young Tam Lin by Patricia A. Leslie
The Ballad of Tam Lin by Kathleen McGowan
Winter Rose by Patricia McKillip
An Earthly Knight by Janet McNaughton
Silvermay by James Moloney
The Nightwood by Robin Muller
The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope
Cold Tom by Sally Prue
Feyland: The Dark Realm by Anthea Sharp

Happy reading! If you know of any additional "Tam Lin" retellings, please let me know!
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the list, Amanda! I've really enjoyed reading all of the Tam Lin goodness, and now of course I need to go read some of these actual books...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Heidi! I do hope you read a retelling or two. I'd love to be able to discuss some of these with you! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.