January 2, 2013

2013 Reading Challenges

Last year the only reading-related challenge I had was my Goodreads 2012 Reading Challenge. I started my Goodreads account at the end of January, but at that point I had no intention of starting a book blog and I made the very modest goal to read 40 books. Once I decided to create my blog in May, I upped my challenge slightly to 45 books. I ended up fully reading 65 books this past year.

Now that I have my blog established and have put more precedence on reading time, I decided to participate in a few challenges for 2013.


Goodreads 2013 Reading Challenge
Challenge: Read 65 books in 2013

Once again, I'm giving myself a very modest and completely do-able number of books to read. Between working 40 hours a week, attending a grad school class once a week, and spending time with my boyfriend, it's hard to find lots of quality reading time. Hopefully this blog and my reading challenge will help me more than accomplish this goal. Keeping my fingers crossed!






Hosted by Hobbitsies
Challenge: Read 12 books by debut YA/MG authors

Since I started my blog halfway through the year, I still found myself reading 7 books by debut authors. If I'm conscious of debut authors as I select books to read this year, I anticipate no problems in reaching the goal of 12 books. Plus it sounds like the challenge will provide great opportunities to connect with other readers.

Hosted by Iceybooks & I Like These Books
Challenge: Read 15 standalone books by YA/MG authors

I'll admit that when I signed up for this challenge, I assumed that it meant standalones in general, not simply standalones being published in 2013. Reading 15 YA and MG books for this challenge may be a little more difficult to do, but, once again, by keeping myself organized and making lists of books to read, I hope to have no problems accomplishing this either.



I plan to keep track of my challenge goals through the tab at the top of my blog entitled "Challenges."

Although I'm excited to participate in these challenges, I need to make myself super conscious of the fact that I should continue to read what I want to read. If I feel like reading an older fantasy series, then I will. If I want to read a recent contemporary series, then I will. These challenges will be a good way to help me to diversify my reading habits, but I want to make sure they never feel like a chore or homework (as with maintaining my blog itself).

Here's hoping for a 2013 full of new favorite books and series!
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

12 comments:

  1. Oh I like these! I didn't know about the Standalone reading challenge, I'll definitely check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was so happy to find that one. I frequently get overwhelmed and frustrated by series, so this should be a nice relief. You should definitely participate in something if you haven't already signed up!

      Delete
  2. I challeneged myself to read 200 books on GoodReads, but other than that, I'm not doing any challenges. I don't work well under pressure. :))
    And I think your decision to read what you feel like reading is the key because it's so easy to get lost in these challenges and the reviewing and blogging, and take all the fun out of reading.
    Good luck, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a slow reader compared to most book bloggers! And I used to consider myself fast! 200 books in a year is a super impressive goal. I hope you're able to reach it, Maja! And me either. I don't like pressure. BUT since this is my first full year as a book blogger, I figured I should at least try out some challenges and see how they go. Thanks, Maja!

      Delete
  3. Just added to Standalone Challenge to my list of reading challenges too! Thanks for the heads up:)

    I'm doing 5 reading challenges again this year, I need to draw up a post like this soon too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! Maybe I can get inspiration from you on what books to read for it? haha
      And wow you're being ambitious. I'm sure I don't know about most of the challenges. I'll have to see what you're participating in. :)

      Delete
    2. Here's a suggestion: Just finished reading Splintered by A.G. Howard (Alice in Wonderland retelling) and it's a standalone:)

      P.S. And it was great!

      Delete
    3. I have heard good things about Splintered. I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks, Heather! :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! You should participate in some as well! *nudge*

      Delete
  5. I'm doing some challenges as well and they are always so much fun :D I hope you can achieve all your goals!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm eager to see how it goes. I hope that you accomplish yours as well!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.