January 10, 2013

Review: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare


Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Published: 2009, Margaret K. McElderry Books
Series: The Infernal Devices, #1
Genre: Young Adult Historical Fantasy
Source: Library book
Goodreads · Amazon · Barnes & Noble



Whatever you are physically...male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy--all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside. 


It's been a while, Cassandra Clare. I still actually want to refer to you as Cassie Clare, since that was how I was introduced to your work, back when you wrote Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings fan fiction (which was fantastic, by the way). After not feeling strongly about City of Bones, which I read upon publication, I decided it was time to read Clare's other series, which sounded more like the type of books I'd read anyway (historical fantasy rather than urban fantasy). Courtney in particular is a huge fan of Clare's works, and her recommendations generally don't steer me wrong.

Upon the death of her aunt, her last remaining caretaker, Tessa Gray travels to London to live with her brother Nate. Nate, however, is not there upon her arrival, and Tessa is convinced to accompany her brother's "friends," Mrs. Dark and Mrs. Black, to their house to await Nate. Kept in their house as a prisoner, the Dark sisters force Tessa's latent magical powers to blossom. By touching the object or trinket of another, Tessa has the ability to transform into its owner and recall his/her memories. After learning that they're training her specially for their master, Tessa realizes she must escape. Her savior comes in the form of Will, an attractive young Shadowhunter (children of the Nephilim) who keep the rest of the magical creatures of the world (Downworlders) in order. Amidst a world far darker than she imagined, full of mortals, Shadowhunters, and Downworlders, Tessa comes to realize that her gift is unique. So unique, in fact, that the man called the Magister will do anything to possess her and her abilities.

The entire The Infernal Devices series is a prequel to Clare's more popular The Mortal Instruments series, but my lack of knowledge of Clary and Jace's stories was not a deterrent to reading this book. The London of Tessa, Will, and Jem is fully realized and wonderfully described. Clare douses her world with enough touches of the fantastical, from the Shadowhunters and Downworlders to the mysterious clockwork creatures, to keep me entertained and guessing.

Where Clare really excels is in characterization and character development. All of the Shadowhunters from the London Clave are very clearly defined. I particularly enjoyed Will and Jem's relationship as parabatai, where Shadowhunters can bond for life to another, becoming each other's protector. I loved how the Clave is full of so many diverse characters, from the fierce Charlotte to the brilliant but absentminded Henry to the loyal Jem to Jessamine, whose only wish is to live a normal life. I did have slight problems with Will, for similar reasons to why I wasn't overly thrilled with City of Bones and its male lead, Jace: while Clare is great at creating the troubled bad boy character, they all seem to end up having similar characteristics to her Draco from her fanfiction trilogy, The Draco Trilogy. Don't get me wrong I loved The Draco Trilogy and the Draco she created. I just wish that I didn't keep seeing his character in every other bad boy with substance that Clare has created since. The dynamics of the characters within the Clave and Tessa's interactions with them were enough, however, to keep me invested in the story.

The story is full of plot twists. Secrets, betrayal, and mysteries abound. As the most oblivious reader ever, I found myself surprised by basically every new revelation. My obliviousness aside, I do think that the plot twists were well-handled, none of them over-the-top or unrealistic based on the world and characters that have been established. Along with Tessa, readers can quickly find themselves in over their heads as when one portion of the world seems to be firmly established, some new knowledge comes along that topples that understanding.

Reading Clockwork Angel has reinvigorated my love of nineteenth-century British literature. Victorian literature in general was probably my favorite focus area for my English degree. I just love everything associated with the books of this time period, from the culture/customs to the romances to the mysteries. Whenever Tessa or Will mention a book, I found myself recognizing the title and wondering whether I've already read it. In fact, before I return the book to my local library, I'm going to have to skim the pages and write down all the books mentioned. I loved the fact that Tessa is a reader. Not only that, but that Clare works within the conventions of Victorian literature and that time period. In many ways, Tessa is like a conventional Victorian heroine. At the beginning of the story she's prim, proper, sentimental, and has strict beliefs in gender/social roles. As the novel continues, Tessa becomes a little less tightly-wound and is willing to look at things in a more unconventional way, but she never quite loses her Victorian-era sentimentalities, of which I approve.

Apparently this book is technically classified as gaslamp rather than steampunk. I don't really understand the differences between the two, since they both do deal with a pseudo-historical world where scientific advances are juxtaposed with an older time period (generally Victorian or Old West). I've looked up the definitions of both and I still have trouble grasping this difference. They're all historical fantasies to me, I suppose. If anyone can shed light on this issue, I'd much appreciate it! 

While Clockwork Angel may not be the most profound book I've ever read, it did keep me entertained. Clare writes well and can come up with an inventive story. And she writes some fantastic romantic scenes.
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

8 comments:

  1. I had mixed feelings about this book, but I do agree that the strongest point is the characterizations. Loved the characters, they all seemed very real and I cared about them. I found the plot twists not terribly, which is what mainly contributed to my mixed feelings, but I did love the characters and the setting. I think the setting was my favorite thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mixed feelings started coming a little later in the series, I think. And, like I said, I'm an oblivious reader, so I was satisfied with those twists. I'm sure I wouldn't be if I could actually figure out things quicker in my reading. Yes! The setting was fantastic. Definitely the aspect that maintained my interest the most. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I had never even heard of 'gaslamp'! I will have to look it up. But I agree that this is an excellent series, and it is rich in Victorian England. I think she did her research well, and I love what you said about characterization and that every character stands out uniquely - so true. (Yes I see some similarities between Will and Jace, though I have never read her Draco trilogy). This is actually one of the few love triangles that I can handle, and I'm getting excited to find out the conclusion of the series later this year. Fun to go back to the beginning with your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only recently learned it myself. If you can figure out what it means, please let me know! :) And really? I'm surprised, given your blog title and all haha. I am not a fan of this love triangle but oh well. Still very much interested in how it will end!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful review! I AM SO HAPPY IT'S POSITIVE! I was nervous about that. Generally, I do give good recommendations, but you can never tell with you since we have slightly different tastes. I do have another recommendation for you btw.

    The problems you were having with the sequel I did predict. So, at least I know you well enough to know what you would like or dislike. I have never heard of gaslamp, and now I'm really intrigued. I was hoping you would explain it to me, but it seems we're both lost as to the difference between steampunk and gaslamp. Oh well. Once again, beautifully written review! As always. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I told you I liked it as I was reading it. But yes, a good recommendation. And do let me know what your other recommendation is! And that is true. I am glad you can figure out some of my reading quirks and likes/dislikes. :) And I know! I'm so confused. It also seems like gaslamp may not be as commonly accepted a term as steampunk. Or maybe it's like a subgenre? That's my latest thought. Not sure though.

      Delete
  4. I have actually heard of gaslamp, but never in regards to The Infernal Devices, only steampunk, but after looking it up online I think the description fits:

    The key difference between gaslamp fantasy and Steampunk is that Steampunk focuses on alternate developments in technology (and need not have any magic at all), while gaslamp fantasy focuses on supernatural elements (and need not have any technology that didn't actually exist). Yet, the two can overlap.

    Interesting indeed!

    I have read 4 books in The Mortal Instruments series, but I'm starting to get bored with it, as I often do when a series lasts more than 3 or 4 books, I have always liked The Infernal Devices series more anyway. I'm a fan of Victorian era fiction AND steampunk (and gaslamp too it would seem!) so it was a good fit for me.

    I really liked what you had to say about going back and writing down the titles of the book mentioned before returning this one to the library because I do that too! Have you ever read The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield? It's contemporary Gothic fiction, and while some people blast it, I enjoyed it. The heroine is a reader, and a big fan of British "sensation novels." After reading I immediately went out and tracked down "The Woman in White" and "Lady Audley's Secret" just because they were mentioned again and again in the book. So you are not alone, Amanda. I do it too!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that definition, Heather! I do agree it fits, but I'm still having trouble *really* wrapping my head around it. I don't know why. Maybe at some point.

      Well, I think if I ever do read The Mortal Instruments series, it will only be the first three. It was intended to be a trilogy, so that's how I want to view it. And I agree, I read The Infernal Devices for all the same reasons! :)

      I have not - I'll have to look up that book! British/Eighteenth Century sensational novels are great. I've read Lady Audley's Secret and a few others. I'm always looking to add to my lists though! I am glad to know I'm not the only one who does this, Heather! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.