October 20, 2012

Announcing Project: Fairy Tale

I just wanted to share a fun and exciting new blog event that I'll be participating in, Project: Fairy Tale. Alison of The Cheap Reader is the creator behind Project: Fairy Tale, a month of fairy-tale related revels which will occur in February or March of 2013.

Each participant selects a fairy tale (or folktale) as the focus for his/her own blog. At the bare minimum, participants will read and post information about the original tale as well as three reviews of retellings of the tale. Of course, this is the bare minimum and participants have the potential to do a lot more with their selected tale over the course of the Project: Fairy Tale month. I'll definitely be posting more than the minimum here. This sounds like a great opportunity to become more familiar with many different fairy tales, as well as some MG/YA retellings. Whether we're aware of them or not, fairy/folktales continue to resonate within our lives in so many ways.

I adore fairy tales and fairy tale retellings. My honors English thesis was an examination of the origins of the original "Beauty and the Beast" fairy tale and how the story was retold over the years. Best research paper ever. Seriously. If anyone ever wants "Beauty and the Beast" retelling recommendations or just someone to talk to about the tale, let me know! Before I started Late Nights with Good Books I actually started a blog that focused exclusively on fairy tales and their retellings. That blog died out when I started this blog, so I'd love to have the opportunity to examine fairy tales here.

Because I've been interested in fairy tales for a while now, I wanted to use this event to give myself the opportunity to learn more about a tale with which I'm not as familiar. I decided on the Scottish ballad Tam Lin. I actually have read a few Tam Lin retellings over the years (Pamela Dean's Tam Lin, Elizabeth Marie Pope's The Perilous Gard, and Delia Sherman's short story "Cotillion"), however those were all years ago and I realized I don't really know anything about the original ballad. And from the very basic research I've already performed, it looks like there are tons of retellings out there, some from authors like Diana Wynne Jones and Holly Black. If you have any retelling suggestions, let me know! I can't wait to get started reading all things Tam Lin!

The event sign-up list is still open, so if you're interested head over here. A lot of the most well-known fairy tales and folktales have already been taken, but there really is an infinite amount of possibilities. If you're interested but not too familiar with many tales, let me know because I have tons of suggestions.
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Tam Lin until now. I'll definitely look forward to your reviews. ^_^

    Oh, and I'm doing Beauty and the Beast! I'll be basing the original story to Beaumont's version, since I've read that it's the well-known version today. Are there any other good retellings for this one aside from Beauty and Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley, and Belle by Cameron Dokey? I've read Beastly before but I didn't end up enjoying the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Tam Lin actually does have some similarities to "Beauty and the Beast" and "East of the Sun, West of the Moon," among other stories, since it's about a man under a curse and the only woman who can save him. But it's all about the fey and Celtic lore and such. So I'm excited to learn more about it myself! And yay I wanted to reach out to you but was afraid that I might sound weird and stalkerish. But seriously, I'd love to point you in some directions! I'll send you some suggestions!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.