February 1, 2015

Showcase Sunday #22

Showcase Sunday is a weekly meme hosted by Vicki at Books, Biscuits and Tea. Its aim is to showcase our newest books or book related swag and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops and downloaded onto eReaders this week.

Received:  
The Inheritance Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin  
Christmas present from my parents! I read The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms back in 2012 (my first review on here, actually!) and I've been meaning to return to this trilogy. This edition includes a bonus novella and holding it up will be a major workout in and of itself.  
The World of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin
This was a Christmas present from my brother. It looks like it discusses the history and physical lands and is accompanied by beautiful images. Seriously, those images alone make this the perfect coffee table book.  
All the Rage by Courtney Summers 
Thank you, thank you, St. Martin's Press and Netgalley! I haven't met a Courtney Summers book I haven't liked, and I'm so eager to give her newest a chance, especially as it's been said it examines rape culture in much the same way that Speak examines sexual assault.


Purchased:  
Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3) by Sarah Fine
So...I haven't read either of the first two books in this trilogy despite owning them. I'm hoping that now at some point I'll be able to binge-read the series, or that I'll at least be interested in reading the series in its entirety.  
All Lined Up (Rusk University, #1) by Cora Cormack  
All Broke Down (Rusk University, #2) by Cora Cormack  
I am trying to be more and more conscious of what books I purchase since, you know, working at a library makes borrowing books the easiest thing ever. BUT my library system doesn't have this series and they were cheap and sound like fun.



Borrowed:  
The Jane Austen Rules by Sinead Murphy  
One of the perks of working at a library is that you find out about books you wouldn't normally pay attention to. Still working my way through it - the premise is cute, but I'm not as much in love with the execution.  
Night Film by Marisha Pessl  
I've heard great things about this one and I plan on reading it eventually. Not sure if that will happen with this borrow of it, however, as it's also crazy long. Still, very much intrigued by this murder mystery!  
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan  
Clearly I can't consider myself even mildly well-versed in MG lit if I haven't read this one, so I'm planning on rectifying that soon! I was obsessed with Greek mythology during my childhood, so I can't help but think I would have loved this as a kid. Hoping to still enjoy it, though.  
Someday, Someday Maybe by Lauren Graham
On principle I refuse to read celebrity-authored books. This one is an exception because Lauren Graham narrated the audiobook. I'm going through Gilmore Girls withdrawal and I'm not even done with the show yet ha.  
A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd
I borrowed this because it has garnered a bit of Newbery buzz. Unfortunately, I just wasn't in the right mood for it, so I've put it aside for now.  
El Deafo by Cece Bell
This one's also been mentioned with regard to the Newbery award. The graphic novel memoir of Bell's childhood is cute, but wasn't anything outstanding, at least in my mind.  
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain  
Current audiobook read! I've been interested in this one for ages but definitely favor fiction in the books I read, so I figured that listening would be the quickest way for me to pick it up. So far it's been validation that being an introvert is an awesome thing.  
The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier  
Somehow I got through public and undergraduate schooling without having read this one. There's a ton of criticism of this, which I totally understand, but I didn't necessarily hate it. Definitely thought-provoking.  
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton  
This was a re-read for my young adult literature class. I loved this when I read it back in seventh grade, and I still quite enjoyed it this time around. It's definitely worth keeping in the classic ya lit canon.  
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson  
Another re-read for my class, another book I haven't touched in years (I think I was in early high school when I read this one). I'm definitely interested to see if/how my perception of this book has changed over the years.  
The Pox Party (The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, #1) by M.T. Anderson  
This was so freaking good. Like, it's the weirdest premise and takes a while to get into and uses some convoluted writing and literary devices, but it's so worth the effort. Really looking forward to discussing this one with my class.  
The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass novellas) by Sarah J. Maas  
Time to get serious about reading this series! I read Throne of Glass back in the summer; my review's not up yet, but let's say I wasn't super impressed. I've heard it gets better, though, so I'm willing to give it another chance.  
The Story of Owen (Dragon Slayer of Trondheim, #1) by E.K. Johnston I've heard a bit of Printz buzz for this one, but the premise alone is enough to make me interested. Dragon slaying in an alternate, modern-day world? Count me in!

What books have you recently acquired?
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

3 comments:

  1. This a great haul Amanda! I also received a copy of All the Rage, I've only read one book by Summers before and I loved it, this one sounds great too! And The Assassin's Blade is definitely an emotional read, I hope you enjoy it! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotta say, I would not have enjoyed Throne of Glass nearly as much if I hadn't read the novellas first. They really explained a lot of Celaena's character that ToG never did. Which is strange... since the novellas came out way later. I also got All the Rage! I've only read one Courtney Summers book and it wasn't one of her contemporary's so I'm hoping I enjoy this one. That Sarah Fine series is one I've been meaning to read FOREVER. It sounds fantastic. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to see what you think of All the Rage and since I surprisingly enjoyed the Rusk University series, I'm curious to see what you make of those. Chaos is another great one and I adore The Outsiders. So jealous of your giant World of Ice and Fire collection! I saw it in the bookstore and it's gorgeous so, of course, I wanted one for myself but, alas, poor college student here. Still, fantastic haul, Amanda, and I can't wait to hear ALL about these titles! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.