September 30, 2014

The Monthly Digest: September 2014

Welcome back to The Monthly Digest here at Late Nights with Good Books. With these posts I hope to recap everything reading- and blogging-related for the past month.

The Books

Favorite read from September:
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Notable quote from September:
“Miss Fitt, you know curiosity gets men killed."
I grinned. "Then I daresay it's good I'm a woman.”  

Susan Dennard, Something Strange and Deadly

The Blog
September Reviews:
The Dinner by Herman Koch
The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen
Four: A Divergent Collection by Veronica Roth
Salt & Storm by Kendall Kulper
Firebug by Lish McBride

September Features:

ARC August: A Recap
Showcase Sunday #17
Heir of Fire Tour
Top Ten Authors I've Only Read One Book From But Need to Read More From Soon
Top Ten Books on My Fall TBR List


In My Life
As you can probably tell, my reading time slowed down significantly this past month. Between becoming a full-time graduate student, searching for part-time jobs, working part-time jobs, and doing homework, I haven't had a lot of free time, and I just haven't felt as motivated to spend my little free time reading. Hopefully that will change once I have a set schedule again!
 
Outside of having no free time for reading, the other frustrating aspect about my life right now is that I have no free time for writing. I got to meet Sarah J. Maas, Susan Dennard, and Erica O'Rourke earlier this month, which was wonderful. Even more wonderful, however, was talking a bit with Susan and Erica about my love of writing. I left the event feeling invigorated and full of creativity, but unfortunately writing keeps getting pushed back on my priority list. I want to get back into it again sooner rather than later but it, like everything else, is kind of on hold while I get my bearings right now.

It's been quite the adjustment becoming a student and regaining that sort of mentality, but even though it's been exhausting, this past month has also been really exciting and I'm becoming more convinced that librarianship is the field I want to base my career around. So, definitely some good can be found in all of this.

How was your September?
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on becoming a full-time graduate student and GOOD LUCK with all your homework, regular paid work, and then writing too! I'm now a full-time undergraduate student so I feel your homework struggles..I really do. So glad you loved Little Women--a favorite of mine, though Jo and Teddy belong together. ;) Also, it is SO cool you got to speak about your writing with other authors--Dennard seems so sweet and I rather like her work too. Here's hoping October is even better than your September, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that you weren't able to read as much as you'd hoped this last month Amanda, but it sounds like you have many exciting things to look forward to. And amazing must it have been meeting such great authors! I hope things settle down for you this month, so you have the chance to read and write more! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.