December 2, 2012

In My Mailbox #9

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren. It's a great way for book bloggers to showcase books and other literary things they've received over the past week.

Slow few weeks for me, but my class finally ends in a few weeks. I'm sure tons and tons of reading will get done in the second half of the month!


Purchased:
Angelfall (Penryn and the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee
Okay, I finally gave in and just bought the ebook. Based on the overwhelmingly positive reviews, I'm going to enjoy this book. And it's only $2.99 for Kindle. And, yes, I know it goes against my ebook purchasing rules, but how can you really appreciate rules unless you break them every once in a while?
The Killing Moon (Dreamblood, #1) by N.K. Jemisin
Towards the beginning of this year I read and reviewed Jemisin's debut, The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, and was in utter awe of her talent and incredible world-building. Although I haven't read the two other books in The Inheritance Trilogy yet, I could not pass up the chance to start Jemisin's new duology. Not only is this an adult fantasy (yay!), but I saw it for only $1.99 on Kindle.


Borrowed: 
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
Although I love YA books to death, sometimes I feel the need to read something a little more literary. Ideally I'd like to read classics once a month; we'll see if that happens. It may have been slow going into this, but I really, really enjoyed this book! A great classic everyone should read. My review will be posted on Wednesday.
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer
I've been able to put this off since January. But with Scarlet's release in February, I feel as though December is a good time to give Cinder a shot! And I found it to be a unique, very readable book. I'll have my review posted soon!
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
I've been anxiously waiting for a time to read this book. I've heard only good things about it, so I hope that it lives up to the hype. But with strong female protagonists, unreliable narrators, and a WWII background, how can it not?

Let me know what books you've received recently!
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

18 comments:

  1. Oooh You got Angelfall!! That book sounds so so awesome! Happy reading :)
    here's my post http://iloveteenbooks.blogspot.com/2012/12/in-my-mailbox-13.html I hope you have time to visit it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it is! Looking forward to reading it. Thanks and I'll definitely check out your IMM!

      Delete
  2. Ah!! I approve of ALL OF THE ABOVE. I haven't yet read Angelfall or I Capture the Castle myself, but considering the amount of praise I've seen for both I know they're great choices (I do plan to get to them!).

    I haven't reviewed The Killing Moon yet, but I just read it a couple of weeks ago and it's fantastic. And of course I loved both Cinder and Code Name Verity.

    Happy reading, I can't wait to hear what you think of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Definitely get to I Capture the Castle soon. I do think that you'll enjoy it. :) Glad to know that you approve of these books - I like knowing that people whose reviews I value also like books I'm interested in. I'll start posting some reviews soon.

      Delete
  3. Angelfall and Code Name Verity are AMAZING! So, SO good. You're in for a treat! :) I wasn't a huge fan of Cinder, but I hope you like it, and I've heard SO much about The Killing Moon, so I need to check it out ASAP for sure! Amazing haul, Amanda! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I can't wait for either of them! I was a fan of Cinder. I can see some reasons why others don't like it, but it was the right book for me to read at the right time. I am curious to see how our views differ on it. And yes - SO excited when I saw The Killing Moon on sale. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm reading Code Name Verity right now and I'm not sure if I'm going to get through it but its okay right now.

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard it's written in a nonconventional way, but to be honest that's part of what excites me to read it.

      Delete
  5. I've heard good things about Cinder and I am Pretty Sure Code Name Verity was on NY Times 2012 Must Read List. Great Selections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I've just heard about it through the grapevine of bloggers and friends, although the reviews have been positive enough that it wouldn't surprise me. Thanks, Kelsey!

      Delete
  6. new follower here. I capture the castle looks so good! enjoy all your great reads. Feel free to come by and view My IMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good! And thank you - I plan on it! :) I'll have to check out your haul!

      Delete
  7. I recently heard someone else recommending I Capture the Castle. I think I need to look into that one.

    Thanks for sharing and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do! It was a nice break from YA lit to read something a little more "classic" yet still with ties to the genre, if that makes sense. And it's just a good story in general.

      Delete
  8. Love, love, loved I Captured the Castle (and the film wasn't so bad either) can't wait to read your review tomorrow, Amanda!

    I have Angelfall too but haven't read it. One day...

    Code Name Verity is AMAZING and I just finished Scarlet, the sequel to Cinder, which was so awesome (I liked it even more than Cinder!) I can't wait to hear your take on it! If you end up liking Cinder and are planning to read Scarlet in February, I HIGHLY recommend you read Meyers' novella THE QUEEN'S ARMY, which is free at the Tor.com site. It really sets the stage for Scarlet and gives more insight to some of the things touched on in Cinder!

    What an awesome week of books for you, enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to see the film version soon! I am eager to see how the story was translated to film!

      Well, the sequel to Angelfall is coming out next year, if you need some reason to finally get around to it. :)

      And Scarlet is better than Cinder?? Count me surprised. I'll be eager to finally read that, then! I actually was already planning on reading and reviewing two Cinder short stories (Glitches and The Queen's Army) to help tide me over. I definitely will read those soon!

      Thank you, Heather!

      Delete
  9. That's quite a list. I've only heard of one of those books so I'm excited to go check out the rest :) Happy reading!

    Megan @ Megz Madd Readz (currently reading City of Bones by Cassandra Clare)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Definitely do so! Those I have read so far are all wonderful!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.